Friday, August 3, 2007

Here’s how it happened… Part 3

The story of our Engagement – Part 3

Finally we are in New Orleans after 28 hours of travel. The year before Jason and I took our first trip together to New Orleans for Jazz Fest 2006, it was my first time coming here and Jason’s 5th. We both had so much fun together, eating, drinking, seeing concerts, meeting up with friends, etc. Our relationship became so much deeper because of that trip and we really found that we loved so much of the same things.That’s why this trip back to New Orleans was so special to us because we both felt connected to the city, the people and the culture.


We arrive at our hotel, about 5 blocks from the French Quarter, and check in. Our room wasn’t ready yet (since they had given away our original room we paid for the night before) but said that our new room would be ready in an hour. Famished for New Orleans cuisine we checked our luggage with the front desk and walked down to the French Quarter for lunch.


The whole time I keep thinking “When is he going to ask me?” I was hopping that he would wait until we freshened up at our hotel room since we had been traveling so long and I hadn’t had a decent shower. We had lunch at a little po boy sandwich restaurant in the French Quarter and just relaxed and felt the weight of the stress of traveling lift away. After lunch we walked back to our hotel room checked in, took a nap and showered up.


Jason then suggested we take a walk down the Mississippi River. DUN DUN DUN! I know we are connected on a higher level (We each pick up on things the other is thinking) and so I was for sure that this was going to be it. My thought process of getting ready was choosing the outfit I wanted to get engaged in. Some women won’t experience this as this was supposed to be a surprise engagement but I knew ahead of time, it was pretty surreal. I was going to go sans purse and Jason mentioned taking the camera and then it hit me “Shit! I’ve got to bring my purse so I’ll have my cell phone to call everyone once he asks me.” I was getting nervous so I wasn’t thinking clearly. Luckily Jason was. I was also watching to see when he would grab the ring and right before we left I heard him unzip his bag and put something in his pocket. Or I was hallucinating.


As we walked down to the river we were trying to hold hands but our palms were sweaty and we didn’t talk much because we were both nervous and anxious. If I didn’t know Jason was going to ask me I don’t think I would have gone along with walking down to the river, I’m might have been like, “Let’s do that tomorrow morning, let’s go get a drink at a bar right now.” But I knew so I went along with everything he suggested. We get down to the walk way and it’s beautiful and clear out but tons of people! Last year it was so private just the two of us but this year everyone and their kids were out so it was noisy and crowded. I was really hoping that he wouldn’t do it there because it didn’t feel right. We stopped to take our pictures by the river.


Here is Jason's signature pose: (We have a picture of him like this from every trip we’ve taken)



Here I am on the river:


I think Jason felt the same way about being on the river so he suggested we walk down to Jackson Square. Jackson Square is a beautiful garden area about 5 blocks from where we were. I thought "Genius!" that would be the perfect place, it's quite and private. As we are walking into the square we hear a street band playing jazz and they were awesome! We stopped and listened to them play and then walked into the gated garden and sat down at one of the benches. It was very romantic, we were all by ourselves and we could still hear the music playing behind us.

I knew he was going to do it then so I just stared at him and waited for him to talk. I laugh about what I must of looked like. He said, as he was reaching into his pocket, "I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this but..." and he pulled out the box with the ring, opened the box and said, "I love you deeply, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?"

"YES!" I said and I kissed him a million times. I was still shocked even though I knew about it and I was so happy and excited. He put the ring on my finger and it couldn't have fit any better and it was the perfect ring, so beautiful.

I asked him who knew about this and he told me that he asked my parents (Annie, Dawson and Terrell) blessings and permission the day before we left and he had told his two brothers.

I was like "Um, I sort of knew"... and we both laughed... so we talked about the whole airport situation and how he initially thought that I saw... etc. but then he wasn't sure if I did because I didn't give anything away. He was a little disappointed because he wanted it to be a total complete surprise... remember the "assessment period"? That was all a ploy to further my suspicions of him asking me in the near future. That sneaky kid.

He had bought the diamond and had it set about 3 weeks before we left and kept it hidden in the closet. I couldn't believe it! I was so wrapped up in our trip that I didn't notice any odd behavior from him. He later told me stories of what he had to do to get it without me noticing anything, like hiding the credit card bill and sneaking home early from work to hide it. Also the morning before he went to pick up the ring from the jeweler I told him about a dream I had: That he had bought me an engagement ring. No joke... I didn't remember until he reminded me. He said that when I told him he froze for a second, thinking maybe I knew something but then soon realized that I didn't. (We sometimes dream the same dreams so I'm sure I picked up on something while we were sleeping)

Although it didn't work out the way he planned it was still so beautiful and romantic and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Plus it's a great story to tell!

This just prepares me more for the wedding, knowing that everything won't go as planned. So there you have it!

Here we are in Jackson Square right after we became engaged:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! I loved this story; I love how you wrote on the pictures; lol at the "ring" one and the ring finger being circled too.

Wonderful reading about it.

~~Annie

Kela said...

Laura, this story made me cry! SO STINKIN CUTE! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!