Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Calistoga fun

Yesterday Jason and I had an appointment with another caterer in Calistoga at 4pm. We thought we'd make the most of the 1/2 hour trip so we left to get there early and stop at a restaurant for an appetizer and drink. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, so we took the convertible. When we got there we drove up to one of my favorite Calistoga wineries, Cuvaison Winery, off Silverado Trail and did a little wine tasting. Their wines are Okay, what I really love is the quaint little building you taste in underneath the oak trees.

We then drove back into town and went to the Calistoga Inn. The Calistoga Inn has it's own brewery so Jason loves their beers but I like it because you can sit outside in their garden patio overlooking a creek. The caterer had told us to come hungry because they taste "family style" but I had to have a little snack because I was starving. We had some fried calamari and hung out for about an hour. We still had about an hour before meeting with the caterer so we walked up to Brannon's and had a drink at the bar. Now I was wishing that I didn't have the calamari because I wasn't too hungry and it was almost 4. ;)

We arrived at the caterers and were greeted by the chef/owner's daughter who is in charge of booking the events and coordinating the tastings with potential clients.

She was very nice and went over the proposal in full detail. I didn't think she was as smooth as the last caterer with wanting to cater to our suggestions. She was a bit more forward with saying what she thinks is best (which it very well may be) but we had something else already planned in our heads. Not that we are against wanting to do the food another way but with the last caterer what we suggested that we wanted they were all for it.

As we were talking the chef brought out the food and oh boy did he. Not even joking we could of fed 20 people with the food they brought out for us to taste. 6 different appetizers, 3 main entrees with a starch and a veggie for each themed recipe and all in HUGE quantities! We tried to taste everything and by the time we were done I could hardly take a breath. The food was good... but I think the first caterer's presentations were a little bit better and had a little more flavor. They let us take home some of the food... we didn't want it to go to waste of course! ;)
We talked about this caterer as we drove back home and Jason felt just the same as me.

But we are not counting out anyone yet... we still have one more to meet with and hopefully that will confirm who we feel would be the best. I know for a fact that this caterer would have so much food at our wedding all the guests could have 3 helpings and still take home doggie bags!

We had such a great day together and I'm sad it's already over, he had to go back to work today and I still have today and tomorrow off. We hardly ever get to hang out on Monday's because I usually have plans with Heidi and he has plans with Marc so we had so much fun. Now it's back to cleaning, chores, the gym and grocery shopping.

2 comments:

Kela said...

Ohhh I'm to first to comment- that never happends! I like that he made so much food and that it was super family style... but something tells me that isn't really your style...

How fun this whole process is, eh Laura? At the bridal shower I had to keep reminding myself to enjoy every second - these are once in a lifetime experiences we are going through, and it truely is magical!

Love you!
Keep me posted!

Love,
Kela

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun; sure you don't need some "help" with this? ;-P

~~Annie